Simkin Center: Pre & Perinatal Massage Therapy Specialization Workshop Apr 20-23 (in-person)
Ended Apr 23, 2023
Sorry! The enrollment period is currently closed. Please check back soon.
Full course description
Course Date and Time
This workshop is in-person, at Bastyr Seattle Campus
14500 Juanita Dr NE, Kenmore, WA 98028
Thursday, April 20, 2023, 9:00am-6:00pm PST
Friday, April 21, 2023, 9:00am-6:00pm PST
Saturday, April 22, 2023, 9:00am-6:00pm PST
Sunday, April 23, 2023, 8:30am-6:00pm PST
Health and safety protocols will be in place including masking when required. Please see below for a full description. If you have any questions regarding this training or attending in-person classes at Bastyr University, please call us at 425-602-3378.
The Pre- and Perinatal Massage Therapy Workshop will empower massage therapists and other healthcare providers to become competent, confident specialists in all stages of childbearing. Successful graduates are prepared to meet the emotional, structural, and physiological challenges of pregnancy and labor and into the long postpartum period. Instruction features 80+ advanced, specific techniques, pregnancy A&P, safety guidelines, complications and high-risk pregnancies, integrative structural alignment for client and therapist, an abundance of relevant research, and proven promotional strategies. The course is also approved by various agencies for continuing education credit 32 hours of in-person, multisensory instruction.
This training is intended for Licensed Massage Therapists and others licensed to touch. Advanced students of massage therapy, nurses, midwives, and other healthcare providers - contact us for information on approval to attend.
· Immersion in nurturing, motivated learning community
· Personalized feedback to improve embodiment & effectiveness
· New repertoire of immediately applicable skills
· Distinction as a specialist for childbearing people
· 32 meaningful, inspiring hours, plus your CE credits
· Improved client care & retention
· Extended career longevity from body usage efficiency & a lucrative specialization
· A prerequisite to the high-caliber certification many employers require
· Skill expansion for all clients needing positioning alternatives
To review the Simkin Center refund and cancellation policy visit https://bastyr.edu/simkin-center/registration-policies.
· 80 techniques to alleviate common perinatal discomforts
· Promote physiologic and mother-centered care
· Skills to increase awareness and readiness for labor
· Medical complications & high risk pregnancy adaptations
· Detailed maternity physiology, anatomy and functionality
· Labor techniques to facilitate relaxation, pain reduction & progress
· Postpartum restoration of abdomen, movement & emotions
· Techniques for reducing childcare strain & supporting breastfeeding
· Research, ethics & working with other providers
· Positioning & techniques applicable to other special populations
Certificates of completion are issued only to students present for all sessions and who complete all required work before the end of the workshop.
Prerequisite: 500+ hours of massage therapy training (other perinatal professionals admitted with approval, contact us for information). Good anatomical knowledge and skill, and experience in Swedish massage and at least one of the following: deep tissue/myofascial release, structural balancing, trigger point/neuromuscular therapy, or passive movement.
This workshop is a prerequisite for certification, the certification process happens outside our center. After earning these 32 CE hours and you wish to become certified, you will need to verify your knowledge & skills by purchasing an assessment module. Test online & submit video for individualized evaluation.
“Pre- and Perinatal Massage Therapy: A Comprehensive Guide to Prenatal, Labor, and Postpartum Practice” by Osborne, Kolakowski, Lobenstine (3rd edition)
Click here to order.
Approved by National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB), FL Board of Massage, and meets current AMTA, ABMP, DONA International requirements.
Michele Kolakowski, BCTMB, LMT, CD&CPD(DONA), CLC, CIMI is the co-author of Pre- and Perinatal Massage Therapy – A comprehensive guide to prenatal, labor and postpartum practice 3rd edition (2021) with her co-authors Carole Osborne and David Lobenstine. Michele is also the founder of Sanctuary Healing Arts LLC and teaches online and in-person while enjoying a private practice in Colorado. Michele’s passion is improving maternity and newborn care - one pregnancy, one birth and one new family at a time. She believes we can improve health care through listening deeply, trusting in collaboration and interdisciplinary teamwork with massage therapists, doulas, health care leaders, physicians, midwives, nurses, and other skilled professionals for the best outcomes for mothers, babies and families.
Since 1992, she continues her life’s work celebrating pre- and perinatal massage therapy, infant massage, birth and postpartum doula care for the benefits of both families and her fellow professionals. Michele is passionate about integrating these hands on healing arts into mainstream maternity and infant health care during life’s most significant moments – nurturing pregnancies, comforting hearts and hard work during labor and birth, attaching and attuning as we welcome babies, and caring for new parents and their wee ones into their fourth trimesters and beyond. Like pebbles gently tossed into a quiet pond, sanctuary’s mission is replenish the ripples of skilled touch that connect us now, and spread through lifetimes and generations towards a more connected, peaceful world.
Michele is grateful to have studied with many maternity and infant massage pioneers before designing and teaching 150- and 200-hour maternity and infant massage certificate programs for the Boulder College of Massage Therapy and Cortiva Education. She also led a hospital-based integrative medicine program providing inpatient maternity massage to thousands of new mothers. Michele has joyfully attended hundreds of births as a certified birth doula in homes, birth centers and hospitals, as well as nurtured new families as a certified postpartum doula, lactation consultant and infant massage instructor. Michele has integrated all these experiences in her work teaching about maternity massage therapy at massage schools, spas, destination resorts, hospitals, and conferences nationwide. Michele is also an approved instructor of Pre- and Perinatal Massage Therapy workshops for Body Therapy Education.
Please visit Michele at Sanctuary Healing Arts LLC.
Simkin Center | Bastyr University
Pre-and Perinatal Massage Therapy Specialization Health and Safety Protocols
With everyone’s health and safety in mind - you, your classmates, and their families, and the potential Practicum Plan A with pregnant people (and their babies) who are higher risk for complications from COVID-19, you agree to the following workshop health and safety protocols:
1. Have four COVID-19 test kits for daily testing before coming to the workshop to do your part to minimize the possibility that you inadvertently spread COVID-19 to classmates, instructor and potential practicum plan A pregnant people.
2. Verify your daily test results and symptoms before arriving at the workshop via electronic COVID-19 Screening Form. Do not attend if you have a runny nose, cough, fever or other common signs of respiratory viruses.
3. Understand that COVID-19 vaccination is highly recommended.
4. Masking during the workshop is optional but encouraged. The one exception is on Day 4, see * below.
5. Be prepared to work in pods with classmates. We will work in pods of up to 4 classmates throughout the workshop to minimize potential COVID-19 transmission. Masked classmates will work together in designated pods of up to 4 classmates, and unmasked classmates will work in designated pods of up to 4 classmates.
* If we do Practicum Plan A with pregnant people, everyone will be masked throughout the practicum - from arrival to departure - including all participants, instructors and pregnant people.
You are responsible for providing your own health and safety protocol supplies including CDC approved COVID-19 masks, hand sanitizer, and sanitizing wipes for your table, equipment and supplies.