Full course description
Course Date and Time
This workshop is in-person, at Bastyr Seattle Campus
14500 Juanita Dr NE, Kenmore, WA 98028
Saturday, October 7, 2023, 8:00am-5:30pm PST
Sunday, October 8, 2023, 8:00am-5:30pm PST
Saturday, October 14, 2023, 8:00am-5:30pm PST
Sunday, October 15, 2023, 8:00am-5:30pm PST
Registration deadline is September 29, 2023
This in-person, 4-day course is perfect for those who want to complete their doula training in a short timeframe. Must be able to complete 4 hours of pre-workshop modules before the course begins and up to 4 hours of coursework in between classes. Participants will receive additional information including class logistics about a week before the start of class.
Completion of this training meets the criteria for three requirements towards DONA International Certifications: (1) Birth Doula Workshop, (2) Introduction to Childbirth for Doulas and (3) Breastfeeding/Chest feeding for Doulas.
We offer a Course Assistant position to provide classroom support in exchange for a discounted tuition. For more information regarding this position or if you have any questions about this training or attending in-person classes at Bastyr University, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 425-602-3361.
To review the Simkin Center refund and cancellation policy visit https://bastyr.edu/simkin-center-allied-birth-vocations (scroll down to Registration Policies à Cancellation, Transfer & Refund Policy).
· Anatomy and physiology of pregnancy, fetal development, labor, postpartum, and breastfeeding
· Components of prenatal care and the midwifery model of care
· Emotions of pregnancy
· Pain management techniques
· Medical procedures used in labor
· Labor variations and complications, including Cesarean birth
· Communication and listening skills
· The emotional and psychological aspects of giving birth and its significance in women's lives
· The doula's role, professional ethics, standards of practice, and certification
· Emotional support and physical comfort measures
· Support for difficult labors, Cesarean birth, and vaginal birth after Cesarean
· Newborn care and breastfeeding support
· Values clarification and cultural sensitivity
· Includes Introduction to Childbearing (DONA International certification requirement)
· Includes Breast/Chestfeeding for Doulas (DONA International certification requirement)
Certificates of completion are issued only to students present for all sessions and who complete the online learning modules before the end of the workshop.
“The Birth Partner: A Complete Guide to Childbirth for Dads, Doulas, and All Other Labor Companions” by Penny Simkin (5th edition or latest)
Click here for information on where to obtain texts.
Kim James, ICCE, LCCE, CLE, BDT(DONA) is a senior instructor and faculty leader. Kim is a DONA International Certified Birth Doula, and DONA International-approved birth doula trainer and holds international childbirth educator certifications through ICEA and Lamaze International. Kim currently serves on the Education Committee at DONA International. Kim is a currently practicing doula within the Swedish Doula Program at the Swedish Medical Centers and owns and operates DoulaMatch.net.
Most of our trainings provide guest speakers who share their areas of expertise and bring a wealth of diversity and wisdom to our learning communities. We are proud that our guest speakers include a roster of actively working local doulas who share their pathways to success.