Full course description
Course Date and Time
This workshop is in-person, at Bastyr Seattle Campus
14500 Juanita Dr NE, Kenmore, WA 98028
Thursday, April 25, 2024, 9:00am-6:00pm PST
Friday, April 26, 2024, 9:00am-6:00pm PST
Saturday, April 27, 2024, 9:00am-6:00pm PST
Sunday, April 28, 2024, 8:30am-6:00pm PST
Early registration pricing of $645 ends March 25, 2024. Price then increases to $745.
Final registration deadline is April 12, 2024.
Health and safety protocols will be in place and may require masking. More information about safety protocols will be released closer to the training. If you have any questions regarding this training or attending in-person classes at Bastyr University, please call us at 425-602-3378.
Grow confident and competent in your pre- and perinatal massage therapy, hands-on skills and professional knowledge. Distinguish yourself as a pre- and perinatal massage therapist and hands-on care specialist. Establish a gratifying and profitable clientele focus for a lifetime.
The Pre- and Perinatal Massage Therapy Workshop will empower massage therapists and other healthcare providers to become competent, confident specialists in all stages of childbearing. Successful graduates are prepared to meet the emotional, structural, and physiological challenges of pregnancy and labor and into the long postpartum period. Instruction features 80+ advanced, specific techniques, pregnancy A&P, safety guidelines, complications and high-risk pregnancies, integrative structural alignment for client and therapist, an abundance of relevant research, and proven promotional strategies. The course is also approved by various agencies for continuing education credit 32 hours of in-person, multisensory instruction.
Licensed/registered massage therapists, student massage therapists who have completed 500+ hours of accredited school training, and other maternity care professionals with a touch scope of practice including bodyworkers (Structural Integration practitioner, Rolfer, etc.), physical therapists, doulas, midwives, nurses, and physicians are welcome.
To review the Simkin Center refund and cancellation policy visit https://bastyr.edu/simkin-center/registration-policies
What You Will Learn
- Evidence-based skills and knowledge, not mythology, based on the third edition of "Pre- and Perinatal Massage Therapy - A Comprehensive Guide to Prenatal, Labor and Postpartum Practice" (2021) to enhance healthier outcomes for all mothers and their babies.
- A continuum of pregnancy, birth, and postpartum hands-on care to meet people's physical and emotional needs including adaptations for special needs clients with high-risk conditions and complications.
- 80+ specific hands-on pre- and perinatal techniques that alleviate prenatal, labor and postpartum complaints; facilitate relaxation, pain reduction and increase clients’ kinesthetic awareness and birth readiness; restore and rebalance postpartum core integrity, movement and emotions; and reduce the musculoskeletal strain of childcare activities.
- Comfortable, safe, evidence-based client positioning options for pregnancy, labor and postpartum that are also superbly applicable to other client populations.
- Relevant pre- and perinatal physiology, anatomy and functional movement that inform evidence-based precautions for pre- and perinatal massage therapy.
- Professional approaches that nurture mother–centered care and well-being with business practices, ethics, and interdisciplinary collaborations in all types of healthcare and work environments - private practice, health clinics and businesses, spas, and hospitals.
- Guidance in career-protective professional body mechanics.
- Inclusion into a distinguished community of high caliber pre- and perinatal professionals who complete the in-person hands-on training that many clients and employers prefer or require and that you need to apply for pre- and perinatal massage therapy .
Certificates of completion are issued only to students present for all sessions and who complete all required work before the end of the workshop.
Prerequisite: 500+ hours of massage therapy training (other perinatal professionals admitted with approval, contact us for information). Good anatomical knowledge and skill, and experience in Swedish massage and at least one of the following: deep tissue/myofascial release, structural balancing, trigger point/neuromuscular therapy, or passive movement.
This workshop is a prerequisite for certification, the certification process happens outside our center. After earning these 32 CE hours and you wish to become certified, you will need to verify your knowledge & skills by purchasing an assessment module. Test online & submit video for individualized evaluation.
“Pre- and Perinatal Massage Therapy: A Comprehensive Guide to Prenatal, Labor, and Postpartum Practice” by Osborne, Kolakowski, Lobenstine (3rd edition)
Click here to order.
Approved by National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB), FL Board of Massage, and meets current AMTA, ABMP, DONA International requirements.