This course is online only. It is a recorded, self-paced course.
Access start date: September 1, 2020
Course Length: 1 hour recorded material (1 CEU).
Participants have 1 year access to materials or until August 31, 2022 (whichever comes first)
Brain disorders like memory loss and mood issues are increasing every year. Science has shown that nutrition has a powerful effect on the brain and health practitioners are well positioned to help prevent and address these major health concerns. This presentation will highlight specific foods and phytochemicals that support brain health and those that may promote deterioration. It will examine the potential adverse effects of nutrient deficiencies, as well address how inflammatory and cardiovascular issues can negatively affect the brain. It will educate on relevant bio markers, present research on potentially beneficial supplements, and touch on the negative impact of several commonly used medications. Practical ideas on helping patients implement brain-supportive dietary and lifestyle strategies will be provided.
Course Learning Objectives
1. Identify key foods to include/avoid that help support optimal brain health.
2. Interpret pertinent blood labs which may help to assess risk of neuro- degeneration
3. Discuss the potential impact of micronutrient deficiencies on mood, cognition and memory Implement dietary and lifestyle strategies to help patients support mental health and reduce the risk for cognitive decline
Course CE Completion Requirements
- You must complete the course materials within 1 year of purchase or before August 31, 2022 (whichever comes first)
- You must complete the course exam with a 75% or higher to pass.
- You must complete the course evaluation.
- To receive a CE certificate, you must have a approved credential.
- NDs (AANP approved)
- RDs (CDR approved)
- MDs (category III)
- RNs (category III)
Don't need CEU's?
Non-CEU Discount Code: NOCEU5 (Recieve $5 off the course price. Please note: you will not be eligible for CEU's or a certificate of completion if you use this code)
About the Instructor
Mary Purdy, MS, RDN, holds a Master's Degree from Bastyr University where she is currently adjunct faculty. Previously she worked at the wellness company, Arivale, as a Coach and Clinical Education Lead training coaches, as well as providing nutrition and lifestyle counseling to clients using a personalized medicine approach. She was in private practice for 8 years as well as a Clinical Supervisor at Bastyr’s Teaching Clinic, working with hundreds of patients on a variety of health issues. She has given over 100 nutrition workshops, speaks regularly at health and nutrition conferences and was the keynote speaker at Bastyr University’s Commencement Ceremony 2019. She serves on the board of Hunger and Environmental Nutrition and was Chair of Dietitians in Integrative and Functional Medicine. Additionally, she hosts the podcast “Mary’s Nutrition Show”, and is the author of the books “Serving the Broccoli Gods", and the forthcoming “The Microbiome Reset Diet.”
View cancellation policy here: https://bastyr.edu/continuing-education/course-information